Friday, February 24, 2012

2/24/12

            I continue my service to the New Nurse Graduate Residency Program of St Mary Corwin Hospital and their sister facility St. Thomas More, by offering experiences with high fidelity simulation for the new nurses.  I develop and implement case scenario simulation experiences specific to the nurse’s specialty unit.  I am committed to continuing this relationship with the New Nurse Residency Program as long as they view this as beneficial.  Thus far, I have received very positive feedback from both the participants and the nursing leaders from this organization. 
            I have found that this service learning experience has benefited not only the new nurses and the facilities, but has been a tremendous learning experience for me as well.  As stated by Ash and Clayton (2009), applied learning provides students an opportunity to learn in unfamiliar environments and to interact with others unlike themselves.  I have been teaching in undergraduate nursing education for over 15 years.  The opportunity to work with the New Nurse Graduate Residency Program has provided me with a prospective of the needs of the new nurse.  This experience has enlightened me to the needs and struggles of the novice practicing nurse.  Because of this experience, I will be better able to meet the needs of my undergraduate students.
            Strengths of this service learning experience include:
·         Strong professional relationship between the agency nursing staff and myself.  Mutual trust and respect has been established. 
·         Generosity of the University to provide equipment and time in the simulation laboratory to the clinical facilities for this endeavor.
·         Individual scenarios developed specifically for the needs of each new graduate nurse participating in the experience.
·         Opportunity for the new nurse to “practice” complex nursing care in a safe learning environment. 

Shortcomings/ weaknesses of this service learning experience include:
·         Difficulty for nurses with no prior experience in simulation laboratories, being able to view the manikins as “real”.  
·         The simulation experiences are held at the University, rather than in the hospital.  The environment is not familiar.  Nurses do not have access to their computers, documents, supplies... that they typically rely on when caring for patients. 
            Based on the shortcomings listed above, I would like to develop and implement a simulation strategy that can take place in the hospital and on the nurses’ specialty unit.  I am going to propose that for the next scheduled simulation experience, I come dressed as a patient and simulate a complex patient care situation.  I believe this will be more realistic and beneficial for the participants of the New Nurse Graduate Residency Program. 

Reference
Ash, S. & Clayton, P. (2009). Generating, deepening, and documenting learning: The power of critical reflection in applied learning.  Journal of Applied Learning in Higher Education, 1, 25-48.    

4 comments:

  1. JoAnn,
    I have been using low fidelity simulation as I teach ACLS and new hire orientation. I find nurses struggle with understanding how to participate in the scenario. They will often look to me and describe what they should be doing. Many schools have simulation as part of their curriculum now and new nurses know how to do this very well! Someday I hope we can purchase high fidelity simulation equipment. Right now we struggle with our skills lab being in a patient room on a department. It is good for training but the department thinks it is a storage room.
    I would love to see how you build your simulations. I have three that I go through with each group of new clinical hires. One is a fall, where I put the mannequin on the floor and set up several safety hazards. The group has to identify all the hazards and then describe what they do with the patient on the floor. I prefer to use a real person as the patient since they can make the situation closer to real.
    The next simulation is going through a mock code and a third is identification of pressure points on a mannequin on his side and then on his back (including behind the ear and the bridge of the nose from eye glasses).
    I am sure the students you help love having the time to practice to improve their confidence. This will be a good relationship for you to maintain!
    Margaret Orn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice reflection, thanks JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is a great idea to come dressed as a "patient"-those students need to be able to assess a situation and use those critical thinking skills to solve complex "patient" issues. I think your work is phenominal. I also think that the simulation brings an ease to a learning friendly environment. Thanks for being a pioneer for the future nurses of the world! Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JoAnn,

    I'm sure you're having fun with this experience. We do a lot of simulations at my place of work and it makes learning more interesting. Is this something you do outside of your work, or is this purely voluntary service? I'm glad that they appreciate the positive outcomes that these simulation sessions provide to the new nurses. I personally believe this an effective and fun strategy to leach others, especially in the field of nursing. I wish you the best!

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete