Sunday, December 11, 2011

Blog #2, December, 2011

            I have continued to work with the New Nurse Graduate Residency Program at St. Mary Corwin Hospital for my service learning experience.  As stated prior, this grant-funded program supports new nurse graduates who are employed at both St. Mary Corwin Hospital, and their sister facility, St. Thomas More Hospital, as they transition into the professional nursing role.  I have continued to provide each of the new nurses with an opportunity to “practice” caring for complex patients in a simulated case scenario.  The patient care scenario is developed specifically for each of the new nurses based on the nurses’ specialty unit and the identified needs of the nurse.  I have received very positive feedback from the new nurses, as well as the administrative team from the hospitals. 
            I recently received a request from this clinical agency to provide a simulation opportunity for one of their more experienced nurses who is having difficulty problem solving in complex patient care situations.    The value of providing nurses with opportunities to “practice” caring for patients in a safe learning environment is being recognized not only in the academic setting, but also in the clinical setting.  This request from the agency reinforced my belief that simulated patient care experiences can ultimately enhance patient safety. 
            I believe that the simulation experiences have benefited the new nurse graduates from St. Mary Corwin and St. Thomas More hospitals by providing them with opportunities to “practice” caring for complex patients in a safe learning environment.  I believe also, that I have benefited from this service learning experience.  It has been rewarding to provide these new nurses with patient scenarios that they may eventually encounter and allow them the opportunity to make patient care decisions, right or wrong, in a place where no one will get hurt.  My hope is that these new nurses will gain confidence, knowledge and skill.  Ultimately the patient will benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment